Monday, January 10, 2011


There have been many changes in the past year. I trained hard for my first half marathon and completed it with my bald self on May 2, 2010. One week prior to the run I found out I was 6.5 weeks pregnant with my fourth child. My husband and I had discussed possibly having a fourth, however, we were wanting to wait until after the half to make a definite decision. Apparently the decision was made for us. I was in a car accident shortly thereafter and I was unable to work or workout for approximately two months. I went back to work, but was too big and uncomfortable to work out. This essentially threw out my plans for to work out throughout my pregnancy. Our fence was built in our backyard, the deck put up and the grass put in the summer. I wasn't able to do much outside as the heat and humidity combo made me very ill in a matter of minutes. Due to that and the car accident my garden and plans for putting in trees along the back fence were shelved. The insane amount of rain this summer didn't help the process either. Our backyard looks on to a wildlife reserve (a good amount of field) and the back of the yard turns into a swamp with too much rain. I continued with my writing course. Although I have yet to be brave enough to get anything published, I did complete it. It felt really good to get it done, especially since my due date was fast approaching. I was even recommended for the advanced writing course by my instructor.

June, July and August were trials in potty training my four year old. We put up a sticker chart in the bathroom and then we used going to preschool in the fall as a form of positive reinforcement. Another trick was trying to train my two year old at the same time. He still has his lazy days where he'd rather play then stop to do number two. (For some reason he'll always stop to pee in the toilet). The two year old likes the idea of the potty, however, she is not quite understanding that concept. She will pee in her diaper and then take it off and sit on the potty. One day after watching the four year old I found her standing in front of the toilet with the seat up trying to pee standing up. I was just about in tears with laughter and told her she's a girl and she has to sit to pee. We are at the point now where she tells me she pooped her pants and we change her right away. Sometimes she tells us she wet herself, this typically occurs if she goes just after she was put to bed. If we don't change her she will take off her diaper and throw it on the ground. Since she still wets herself in the night, unchecked she will wake us up crying because she has wet the bed.

This Summer also included realizing wishes, dealing with past impulses, making amends and reconnecting with family members.

September saw our four year old going to preschool and our eldest enter into his last year of middle school.

October was filled with work and on Halloween night I was a pumpkin, the eldest a monster, toddler number one a Kangaroo (again), and toddler number two a lion.

November saw me taken off of work a month before my intended maternity leave date by my doctor. the celebrations of my baby turning two and my first baby entering his teens. It was a period of crossing off projects on my "before baby arrives" to do list and finalizing the little one's name. Packing hospital bags and making sure we had a plan of action to get to the hospital and someone to watch the children. It was a time of discomfort and raging hormones, along with preschool helper duties and even a false alarm. (Seeing as this was my fourth you would think I would not have a false hospital visit this time around).

Then in swept December filled with Christmas trees and lights. Family get together's and good times. Christmas cards and kidlets dancing around the lit tree singing "Christmas. Christmas. Christmas". Finally the excitement of the birth of our fourth child on December 11. All 11lbs and 4oz of him. Yes, I did it naturally and without pain medication. Not that I had a choice in the matter. My future linebacker almost made his entrance at home and possibly my fathers car if he didn't speed 80 km/h all the way to the hospital.

Just as things slowed down, they sped up as time with a newborn often does.

2010 was a good year to us. Sure it was busy and had it's frightening moments, but there were many more blessings. 2011 is proving much the same. Happy New Year Everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...